“Examine and test and evaluate your own selves to see whether you are holding to your faith and showing the proper fruits of it. Test and prove yourselves [not Christ].” Paul, the Apostle
Welcome to day 8 of #LAST70DAYSOF2013. It has been a worthy journey for me and I have learnt so much taking this journey. I pray you will have the same experience. Today’s topic is on ‘appraising yourself daily’. Enjoy the piece and share with friends.
Depending on which part of the world you are reading this from, it is either you are done with the day or you will soon be done with the day. Whatever is the case, what I want to know is, ‘will you take your time to take stock of how you fared today with the goals you set out in your to-do-list (that is if you actually prepared one by the way) today’? It is said that when you judge yourself, no one will judge you because when you do, you put yourself on the vantage point to correct everything you did wrong during the day and so you are able to do them better next time.
For there to be a successful year, there must have been a daily and careful appraisal of how well you did with the goals you set out with for each day by the time you get back home at the end of each day. Without this attitude, there will be no way you can trace how productive you have been with your time, energy, resources, networks and opportunities expended for the day. Every successful individual does not wait for the crowd to appraise how well he or she has done. Successful people first appraise themselves before the people out there even get the chance to do same.
Self appraisal is very important in helping one have a fruitful life at the long run. It gives you the opportunity to tell yourself the truth that no one would be able to tell you, just because they do not want to hurt or they just want to please you or afraid to tell you the truth to your face (by the way, if you have such people around you, you better dispose them because they are not true friends). Assessing your performance before others do gives you the chance to call yourself all the names before others will do and by such, relieves of the pains of ‘name calling’ by people.
Self appraisal, if done with a positive mindset can result to self enhancement and ultimately to personal success. This is because when the appraisal is done, the grey areas are identified and worked upon to become a better person. It gives you the opportunity to interact with yourself like no other person will do so you can get to know yourself better, especially if you do so in the light of God’s view about who you are.
Self appraisal is not a time to see yourself as someone who is not effective but a time to tell yourself, ‘yes, I should have done better, I should have done it this way, I know I messed up but this is not all about me; I know I can do better if I try again and don’t give; I know I will reach my goal; though I failed now, but that is not the end to my story’. You tell yourself the truth but you still move on with your life with a positive perspective, having in mind you will not repeat any mistake twice; that you will give yourself the best next time you are confronted by the same issue.
So what are the things you must appraise daily if you want to make it in 2014?
– Skills: Did you maximize your skills today or did you just take up challenges lesser than your true strength because you did not want any stress? Are you satisfied with your achievements today when you would have done better? Why did you choose to go below your level of skills and competences?
– Knowledge: Did you utilize your knowledge today or did you just keep quiet when your fountain of wisdom was in demand to help you achieve success or help someone else achieve theirs? Why did you withhold your knowledge from functioning today? How would you avoid that?
– Commitment: Did you commit yourself to a worthy venture that improves the state of humanity today? Did you commit yourself to the goals you set for yourself today? Why not, if you did not? What hindered you? How will you deal with that tomorrow?
– Motivation: Why did you do the things you did today or why didn’t you do the things you were meant to do today? Was it for a good or bad reason?
– Attitude: How did you respond to people and circumstances today? Did you smile to people or just frowned at them all through the day? Why was that so?
– Beliefs and values: Did you do or say things contrary to your values, belief and faith in God today? Why did you do that? What led to that? How can you avoid such from repeating tomorrow?
You can decide today to set out a daily plan of personal appraisal in 2014. It will give you the room to improve daily on your goals. It will also help you to live a maximized life. If you do so and commit to it, you will be glad you heeded to the voice behind this piece. Enjoy the rest of your life!
Prayer: May everyday you set out for bring you joy and fulfilment from accomplished goals. May your potentials and all that God has gifted you with be completely used daily. May God give you the grace to accept areas you need to change and the strength to change them in Jesus name. Amen!